Sunday, December 1, 2013

'Twas the Night Before A St. John Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through Cruz Bay,
We were all anxious for the arrival, of the fat man and his sleigh;
The stockings were hung by the palm trees with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;

The tourists were nestled all snug in villa beds,
While visions of north shore beaches danced in their heads;
And Sharon in her bikini, and I in my trunks,
Dinghied to the boat, headed back to our bunk.

When over by Beach Bar there arose such a clatter,
I peeked from a port hole and saw Santa's sleigh land with a splatter.
He had clipped my mast, flying low was his style,
Now the elf and his deer were on the beach in a pile.

The reindeer were scattered all over the sand,
Some injuries were suffered in their attempt to land,
Comet was bruised,  Rudolph's nose was withered,
How would Santa get his island gifts delivered?!

We ran through the circle, past the Tamarind Inn so quick,
We would get The ACC dogs to rescue St. Nick!
More rapid than eagles, barking as they came,
Santa patted their heads, and called them by name:

"Now Moose!  Now Georgia!  They love those butt scratches!
On Missy!  On Cally!  On Peaches and Patches!
To the top of Woody's, to the top of the Banana Deck!
Now yank away!  Dash away!  Pull like heck!"

Down Love City streets, these loyal pups pulled that sleigh,
It's said every dog shines once, and this was their day.
So up all the hills, all the way to Coral Bay they flew
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too -

Later with some splashing, I heard near my hull,
Paddling and pawing, this night wouldn't be dull.
As I climbed to my cockpit and was turning around,
I saw St. Nick in a dinghy, with the pups towing him around.

He was dressed in a red Speedo, it sure wasn't pretty,
But the dogs were so proud, they saved Christmas in Love City;
A bundle of new snorkel gear hung at his side,
And it looked as if he were a Low Key guide.

His eyes - how they twinkled! His dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were sunburned, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
"These pups pulled my sleigh through the sand as if it were snow"

With a candy cane snorkel held tight in his teeth,
He hopped off my stern and dove for the deep.
He played with each dog, swimming and rubbing their bellies,
And he shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

He wondered how these dogs, had landed at the ACC,
With wet little noses, and furry hearts full of glee.
A wink of his eye, and a twist of his head
"I'll find each one of these dogs a home and a warm bed";

A tear dripped down his cheek, as he went back to work,
The dog's stockings were last, then he turned with a jerk.
He tucked each dog in, and closed each kennel door,
"Wish I could take them now, wish I could do more"

He sprang to the office, and left a note for the staff,
"I left so many toys for your dogs, you'll surely have a laugh"
And I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight -
"Merry Christmas to all, and to the ACC good night!"


No comments:

Post a Comment