Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dirt Road Anthem

It's a little overwhelming for me to process the amount of change happening in our life all at once.  We own a 50 foot yacht, for which we are trying to sort through paperwork, documents, etc.  Our house in Connecticut is in a sale contract.  We both quit our jobs.  It's all happening at the same time. While Sharon will be done in a matter of weeks, I will finish out the year with an official end date of December 31, and we will hand the TSA agent at the airport one-way tickets to the islands in January.  New year, new life.

Even though our final move is in January, so much is happening now.  Our house is in shambles.  During the summer we proactively moved a couple UHaul trailer loads of things north to our summer home in the Adirondacks.  Now we are down to our final load this weekend, and we have to be out of our Connecticut house (notice I didn't use the word "home") by the end of the month for the closing.

This move is far more complicated than any other move.  My Connecticut "life" has me at work and/or commuting 14 hours a day, leaving a mere hour or two to work on packing.  Packing and sorting are far more complex than any of my previous move because now things are going either to the boat, to our summer house, to the summer house and then the boat, or to my inlaws house where we will live for the remainder of the year.  Needless to say the logistics are driving me nuts.

Even in my beloved Adirondack hometown, things are changing.  I read today that the dirt road to my home will be paved.  In the end it will be a welcome change, but right now it's ushering in a little sadness.  The simplicity of that dirt road is something I look forward too.  As Jason Aldean says - "I'm chillin' on a dirt road...".  My summer home and that dirt road are welcome calming aids during rough times.  Maybe it's just a little too much for me right now, but damn I'll miss that dirt road.

No comments:

Post a Comment